Parenting is undoubtedly one of the most challenging tasks. It’s not always easy to understand the needs of the child or their emotions. Over the years, many experts and researchers have published books to tell the best ways to become a parent to your child, with all the do’s and dont’s. But recently, one of the most talked about parenting styles that is slowly gaining popularity is peaceful parenting. Want to know more about it? Then read on to understand this parenting style and its benefits.
What is Peaceful Parenting?
Peaceful parenting is a philosophy created by Dr. Laura Markham, a clinical psychologist. This method requires parents to let go of the reigns of control and to be more receptive to child and their behavior. In short, as a parent, you have to first find “peace” within yourself to deal with the child better.
This method prohibits parents from harsh discipline, getting angry, giving constant punishments to kids, and other forms of controlling and manipulative parenting style. Peaceful parenting focuses more on exchanging ideas, understanding, and communication. Under this philosophy, parents function as guides to help their tiny tots understand their feelings, their surrounding environment, and the world.
Overall, the main goal of peaceful parenting is to improve the behavior of the child and to develop a strong child-parent bond.
How to follow Peaceful Parenting
If you want to try this parenting style, here are a few tips to follow this philosophy:
- Try to find peace within yourself first. If you are upset with your kid, immediately drop the agenda, take a few deep breaths, and restrain yourself from acting out.
- Connect with your child daily and try to understand their little world.
- Once you have formed a bond with your kid, discuss the reasons behind their tantrums or why you have stopped yelling or stopped punishing them.
- Stay calm when your child is upset. The more compassionate you will be towards them, the more child will open up and share the reason behind their temper.
5 Benefits of Peaceful Parenting
Although, there is not enough proof that peaceful parenting is the best method of raising your kids but there are certain benefits of peaceful parenting, such as:
- Since you have mastered the art of staying in control of your overwhelming emotions, you are now able to make better decisions for you and your child.
- With this philosophy, your child learns healthy behaviors and can manage their emotions well. That means, fewer tantrums, outbursts, and wailing.
- It helps in building a stronger bonds with your child, even as adults, as they now trust you during their difficult times.
- The kids will be happier and well-adjusted, which means no yelling or shouting at them every time.
- The kids may become emotionally intelligent adults with qualities of self-discipline, a sense of responsibility, and respect for others.
Parenting is hard. So, do not beat yourself up if you make some mistakes. Some days are going to be tough, but with a peaceful parenting style, you can make things a little easier on yourself and your kid.
You can also read Family Cruising Tips: Your Ultimate Guide to Setting Sail with Kids