I love going to those restaurants that have unlimited baskets of breadsticks, don’t you? I could skip all the rest of the food and just feast on the delicious, garlicky breadsticks.
Taking 4 kids out to a sit down eating establishment doesn’t happen very often though, so I’ve decided to learn how to make those tender breadsticks at home. It may not be as easy as having the baskets appear out of nowhere from your server, but by using the bread machine, you can get your dough ready then shape your breadsticks and bake them without too much effort on your part. Enjoy!
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- ½ stick butter, softened
- 3 cups bread flour
- 3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1. Place the first 6 ingredients in your bread machine according to manufacturer directions. Start dough cycle and continue until cycle is complete.
2. Remove the dough from the bread machine and place on a slightly floured surface.
3. Pinch off 2 ounce portions and roll the dough to form sticks that are approximately 6 inches long.
4. Place the dough on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
5. Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
6. When the breadsticks come out of the oven, immediately brush each one with melted butter and sprinkle with garlic salt.