My favorite part of watching movies with my kids is watching them re-enact their favorite scenes. “Summer Nights’” from Grease is totally charming when sung by a 3-year-old and 7-year-old. In fact, just about every movie is. Here, the movie scenes they love to re-enact:
1. Pitch Perfect: Bella’s Finale. My kids love to pretend to be Becca and Fat Amy. Rebel Wilson is hilarious. But when imitated by little kids, her part is side-splittingly funny. Plus it’s nice to watch a movie with your kids that’s (relatively) clean and mom and dad can enjoy as well. Can’t wait for the sequel.
2. Grease, “Summer Nights”. My kids love the movie Grease. Truthfully, I do too. What kid didn’t want to be Sandy or Danny? The music is fantastic, especially when sung off-key by toddlers. But consider yourself warned, your kids will walk around the house saying, “Tell me more” for days.
3. Wreck It Ralph, “Hero’s Duty”. I’ve seen Wreck It Ralph a dozen times. My 6-year-old boy walks around like he’s Sergeant Calhoun saying, “Fear is a four letter word, ladies. You wanna go pee-pee in your big boy slacks, keep it to yourself”? It’s hilarious!
4. Frozen, “Do You Want To Build A Snowman?” My kids love this song and each loves to alternate between playing Elsa and Anna while pretending to be on opposite sides of the door while singing this song. They know every move and can sing every word, down to pretending to be the clock clicking. And yes, I still choke up hearing my kids sing, “Okay, bye.” Cue the tears.
5. Madagascar, “I Like To Move It”. One kid pretends to be King Julien, the other gets to be Alex. Both go wild whenever they hear this song and love to bust a move. The great thing about this scene is you don’t really need to know the words or the moves. You just need to, yup, move it.
6. The Wizard Of Oz, “I’m Melting”. It’s amazing how many different ways kids can find to melt. Dorothy may be the star of the show, but the Wicked Witch gets to have the best death scene in cinematic history. What a world.
7. Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory, “The Oompa Loompa Song”. I loved this scene as a kid and now my kids love to reenact it. It’s particularly cute to see your kids pretend to be candy-making characters, especially when they get all the words wrong. I suppose anything that sounds like Oompa Loompa will pass.
And it goes without saying that every kid loves to reenact every part of Star Wars. And sometimes, their dads do too!
What scenes do your kids love to pretend they’re in?