I snuck fresh cauliflower into the mix for this healthy mac and cheese sauce recipe! It’s super smooth, savory, and super cheesy. Give this guilt-free mac and cheese a try as a back-to-school recipe!
A Healthier Mac and Cheese Sauce
This smooth and super-cheesy recipe has a healthy portion of cauliflower blended right in.
- cauliflower: 1 small head, cut into florets
- vegetable or chicken broth: 1½ cups
- sharp cheddar cheese: 2 cups, grated
- parmesan cheese: ½ cup, grated
- salt: 1 teaspoon
- freshly cracked black pepper: ½ teaspoon
- garlic powder: ½ teaspoon
Step 1: Bring the cauliflower florets and broth to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan. Cover the pot, reduce the flame to a simmer, and cook until the florets are fork-tender (about 10 minutes).
Step 2: Add the cheddar, parmesan, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to the pot. Fold the ingredients together, until the cheese has melted.
Step 3: Using an immersion blender (or a stand blender), blend the mixture until completely smooth. Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning as desired.
More Mac and Cheese Recipes: