Skip to content
21 Products That Are Shockingly Dangerous for Kids
When my kids were toddlers, a simple walk could make me anxious: What if he puts a pine cone in his mouth? What if she stabs herself with that stick she’s waving around like a wand? But, the thing that I’ve always found most frightening are those unexpected dangers. For example, you’ve probably heard that
detergent pods are a poison hazard, but did you realize that the band you use to tie your hair back for the gym is also a threat to your kids’ safety? Here, a complete list of common household items to watch out for (and keep away from your kids).
21 Products That Are Shockingly Dangerous for Kids
Essential to keep your baubles on your ears, dangerous for your tots to get their pincer grasps on.
Cool mist humidifiers are ideal for children’s bedrooms, but check to make sure the warm, burn-risk humidifier that keeps
your dry sinuses at bay is also beyond baby’s reach.
Not that you have a ton of time to get made up these days, but your curious kids will certainly be interested in your lipsticks, nail polishes, eye shadows and soft, fuzzy brushes. Many of these products are toxic and the makeup brushes can carry bacteria. (Ew -- go clean those).
A staple at every birthday party, balloons both inflated but especially deflated pose a big choking risk for kids. In fact,
43% of all deaths from children’s products are from latex balloons.
35,000 calls were made to poison control centers by parents concerned about their (mostly under 6) child’s exposure to art supplies. But wait, we should be using art to help foster our kids’ creativity, shouldn’t we? Yes. But always supervise, buy non-toxic materials, and make sure your child doesn’t take a taste of that cherry-scented marker.
Beautiful but dangerous, don’t buy any plants from
this list of poisonous species. Nationally, 8 out of 10 poisonous plant ingestions happen to kids 6 and under.
You probably think nothing of buying these for school (and work) lunches, but plastic bags are a big safety hazard for kids of various ages. Babies can choke on them. Toddlers and older kids at that stage where they're putting everything on their heads can suffocate from them.
It may seem like common sense to keep kids away from the open flame of a candle, but ALSO watch out for these trendy new “flameless” wax holders - the wax can be easily tipped and burn curious hands.
You may have heard the
latest reasons you should be careful about putting ear swab s in your ears, but these are choking risks for small children as well.
Water Bottle Caps
After hydrating, make sure that cap is put back on nice and tight. If baby finds that cap on the floor later, well, you know exactly where she’s going to put it.
Fido’s food should be kept out of baby’s reach -- it may smell yucky to you but it’s seems perfectly tasty to them and is a choking hazard.
Juice Box Straw Wrappers
We love kid drinks on the go as much as the next strapped for time mom, but be careful of the straw wrappers on these. Little baby hands are drawn to their crinkliness and can choke on them.
Make sure your child’s toy box is lead-free, has ventilation and doesn’t have a lid that can come crashing down on your child’s head. According to the
CPSC, 34 children have died due to toy chest accidents since 1996.
Photo: Bonsoni.com via
Flickr Creative Commons
Your earbuds are certainly usable, if not comfortable, if you lose their covers. But make sure you locate those missing sponge choking hazards before your baby finds them and puts them in his mouth.
Your power pony has become your new mom best friend, and you probably have a set of hair ties on your write at all times (we do.) Watch out that baby doesn’t get ahold of these snappy hazards that are a prime shape for choking.
It’s not science fiction, when magnets are swallowed, they attract to each other from inside the digestive system causing holes to tear in the stomach and/or intestines. Small play magnets like the ones shown have been banned, but they could still be found within toy parts or on an older sibling’s chair.
Children's Metal Jewelry
Many metal jewelry pieces being sold still have high amounts of lead which is a poison when ingested and can lead to learning and behavior problems. Look for “lead-free” labeled products.
Pen caps go missing like matching socks, and these are huge, easy to choke on items and perfectly sized for little hands.
The scariest thing about sleep positioner products is that some tout the products to prevent SIDS. In actuality, babies can get caught with their faces in the wedges.
Both the FDA and the CPSCstrongly discourage their use.
Laundry Detergent Pods
These colorful laundry detergent pods that kids mistake for candy or teething toys have caused
over 700 hospitalizations and 17,000 poison control calls in the last two years (and sadly, one death).
You’d catch (and stop) your toddler wielding your giant Sonicare pretty quickly, but the small cap that goes on it can be harder to keep track of and is a dangerous choking size.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
#1. Bed-Sharing: I thought I knew tired. I didn't. Tired is being up all night with a newborn and then…
Because here's the thing: Avoiding the scary stuff, like school shootings, terrorist attacks, and natural disasters, doesn't work.
We should include our kids in the thank-you process, rather than pen a sophisticated note on their behalf.
And here's the thing: For our little Marlowe, daycare seems pretty perfect.
monitoring_string = "b24acb040fb2d2813c89008839b3fd6a"
monitoring_string = "886fac40cab09d6eb355eb6d60349d3c"