Savor the change of seasons, get the family together and take a moment to welcome spring.
Here’s five family-friendly ways how:
1. Go out for ice cream. I don’t know about where you live, but nothing says spring in New England like the opening of the homemade ice cream stands. A Sunday afternoon ride along the back roads in search of a new mom and pop ice cream shop to try summarizes the perfect spring day to me!
2. Pull out the outside toys. Bubbles, riding toys and balls oh my! If you live in an area where you experience all four seasons, chances are your children can’t wait to start spending more time outside. It’s time to get the back yard ready for lots of outdoor play. The kids are waiting!
3. Plan your garden. While it may be a little too soon to begin planting, depending on where you live, it’s the perfect time to start planning your garden. Get the family together and decide what you’ll grow this year. Begin preparing the area where your garden will grow so you are ready to plant when the time is right.
4. Eat outdoors. Serve lunch or dinner on the porch. If my kids have a choice to eat outside in their backyard or go out to their favorite restaurant, hands down, eating outside wins. There’s something special about sharing a meal under the sun. The easy clean up is an added bonus.
5. Have a spring scavenger hunt. Go on a nature work and see if you can spy birds’ nests, blooming flowers, greener grass and other signs of spring.
Does your family look forward to spring? Do you do anything special to welcome spring? Share your traditions below.