Did you know that there are more than 1,500 National Days? That seems like a lot when you consider that there are only 365 days in a year. We got curious to see what kinds of celebratory days might appeal to kids and we handpicked 20 to help you get through the bleak days of winter. With an eye toward silly and fun, we hope you enjoy making memories with these 20 different opportunities to celebrate the wackier things in life. And while you are at it, you can keep track of the number of days until spring.
- December 8th is National Pretend to be A Traveler Day! Look up some fun exotic places and pretend to go on a trip. Try using a cardboard box as your vehicle, and make some snacks that the locals would love.
- December 11th is National Noodle Ring Day! That’s dried pasta noodle rings, to be clear. Grab a box of macaroni and some glue and make a fun picture, then paint it and throw yourself a little art show on the fridge.
- December 12th is National Gingerbread House Day! You know what that means, grab your baking gear and start constructing amazing winter wonderlands with gingerbread and frosting.
- December 18th is National Answer the Phone Like Buddy the Elf! What a perfect excuse to rewatch the Christmas classic then find goofy and fun ways to answer the phone.
- December 25th might be Christmas, but it’s also National A’Phabet or No ‘L’ Day! We dare you to spend an hour trying to talk without using the letter L.
- January 8th is National Bubble Bath Day! Grab some toys, bubbles, and hop in the tub for a silly bath. Try coloring with washable markers or putting food coloring in the water to make it more fun.
- January 9th is National Static Electricity Day! Grab a balloon, rub in on your head, and stick the balloon to the wall. Lookup a few other fun science experiments to try.
- January 14th is National Dress Up Your Pet Day! Get into the action by making your own funny costume then dressing up your pets. Take some pictures and send them to friends and family.
- January 28th is National Kazoo Day! Grab that kazoo and throw a spontaneous concert in your living room. Make some instruments and form a family marching band.
- January 31st is National Backward Day! Try getting dressed backward, or performing a task backward, maybe even try talking backward. So many opportunities for silliness with this one!
- February 5th is World Nutella Day – because of course, Nutella has to be celebrated everywhere, why not? Grab a jar of that hazelnutty goodness and create a fabulous treat.
- February 7th is National Bubble Gum Day. Did you know you can make your own gum? You can! Lookup some fun recipes and make yourself a stick of yummy bubble gum.
- February 16th is Do A Grouch A Favor Day! Know someone who tends to be a bit grouchy? Find a way to help them today and put a smile on their grouchy face.
- February 26th is National Tell A Fairy Tale Day! Talk about a great reason to get reading while also having a super fun time. Try reading some fairy tales with your family then ask everyone to make up their own tale to tell.
- February 28th is National Tooth Fairy Day! Try writing a thank you card to your Tooth Fairy or create a fun trap to try and catch one.
- March 14th is National Children’s Craft Day. We totally love this day! Pull out your craft supplies and spend the day making awesome crafts with the kids.
- March 19th is National Let’s Laugh Day. Get your dad jokes, mom jokes, and knock-knock jokes ready for a day of LOLing.
- March 22nd is National Goof Off Day! Literally spend the day goofing off, how fun is that!?
- March 28th is National Stick Something on a Stick Day. I don’t know about you but that sounds like a challenge to make some fun shadow puppets. Or corndogs. The options are really limitless here.
- March 31st is National Crayon Day! Grab your favorite crayon colors and get coloring on this glorious day. Also, try looking up some fun crafts that feature funky ways to use crayons like melting them down in muffin tins to make your own multi-color crayon pods.