One of the latest trends in healthy eating right now is the Pegan diet. What is it? It’s a hybrid of the Paleo diet and the vegan diet. It sounds confusing because the Paleo diet prioritizes meats while vegans nix animal products altogether. Let me explain: Around 75 percent of what you eat on the Pegan diet comes from fruits and vegetables. The remaining 25 percent of what you eat should be a combination of high-quality fats (avocados, nuts, olive oil, and coconut oil) and, if you choose to eat animal products, grass-fed, antibiotic-free, and sustainably raised meats, poultry, and fish. No sweets, processed food or dairy. To really boil it down for you, the Pegan diet is made up of eating fresh food in its unadulterated state.
My family is very fluid when it comes to our diet (except for the gluten-free part). It really depends on what our bodies are telling us to eat. If we feel carb overloaded, then we eat meals with lots of fruits and veggies. If we’ve been extremely active for a few days, then we eat more carbs. If we feel a bit tired, then we add lean meat into our dinners. So, for us, it’s nice to have these family friendly Pegan recipe ideas to keep in our back pockets.
Here are 11 Pegan diet recipes that are delicious and easy-to-prepare: