No need to head to the store for a gluten-free cake. Gluten-free baking is as simple as classic baking and just as tasty. Make Gluten-Free Vanilla Cake with Cookie Buttercream the star of a birthday meal or for any other cake worthy occasion. This cake is every bit as delicious as a gluten-full one without any of the gluten-guilt.
Gluten-Free Vanilla Birthday Cake with Cookie Buttercream Recipe
Gluten-free vanilla cake with cookie buttercream may quickly become a birthday staple.
- all-purpose gluten-free flour: 3½ cups
- xanthan gum: 1 tablespoon
- baking powder: 1 tablespoon
- baking soda: ¾ teaspoon
- salt: 1 teaspoon
- unsalted butter, softened (plus a bit more for greasing cake pans): 2 sticks
- granulated sugar: 2 cups
- large eggs, at room temperature: 4
- gluten-free vanilla extract: 1 tablespoon
- full-fat sour cream: 2 cups
- unsalted butter, at room temperature (for icing): 1 cup
- confectioners sugar (for icing): 3 cups
- vanilla extract (for icing): 1 teaspoon
- milk (for icing): 1 - 2 tablespoons
- gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies (for icing): 1 package
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set the oven racks to the middle position. Butter and flour 2 (9 - inch cake) cake pans.
Step 2: In a large bowl sift together flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Step 3: In the bowl of a standing mixer beat together butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 2 - 3 minutes. Add in eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition, then beat in vanilla. Set mixer to low speed and stir in half of the flour mixture and half of the sour cream. Beat until flour is just incorporated, then repeat with remaining flour and sour cream. Beat until the batter is smooth.
Step 4: Divide batter between prepared cake pans making sure to smooth out the batter. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pans for 10 - 15 minutes, then remove and place onto racks to cool completely.
Step 5: In the bowl of a standing mixer cream together butter and sugar on low speed. Beat until well combined, about 2 minutes. Increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
Step 6: Add in vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium for one more minute. Set speed to low and crumble in half of the sandwich cookies. Stir until just combined.
Step 7: Put 1 cake layer on a cake plate and spread with ¾ cup icing. Layer the remaining cake layer and frost the top and sides of cake with the remaining icing. Top with remaining sandwich cookies.