- 12 large eggs
- Table salt
- 12 small green olives with pimento, cut in half
- Paprika or mild curry powder (or similar)
Makes 24 servings, one half per person.
1. Hard boil the eggs. First put the 12 eggs in a saucepan big enough for them to be in one even layer. Fill with cold water to cover the eggs by at least two inches. Add about 1 teaspoon of table salt. It hardens the egg shells.
2. Bring the eggs to a boil and let boil for 2-3 minutes then shut off the heat and cover the pot. Let the eggs stand in the water for 15 – 17 minutes. Drain off the hot water and submerge the eggs in ice cold water for several minutes until the eggs have completely cooled. This will make it easier to peel.
3. Peel the eggs carefully running them under cold water to help remove the shells and membrane. Pat them dry or let them air dry for a bit. Cut in half length wise.
4. Using a small spoon or the tip of a vegetable peeler, hollow out a big enough hole to nestle a half of a green olive in. Place the olive half in the egg yolk then sprinkle the whites with a little paprika or curry powder and salt.
5. Repeat with all the eggs. Place the eggs in a brown shoe box lined with shredded red cabbage to add an even more ghoulish feel to it.
- Don’t worry if you over cook the eggs on this recipe, the grayish green color the yolks turn only adds to the ghoulishness.
- If you don’t have a brown shoe box, wrap any shoe box in brown paper bag or use a different box. It is just supposed to look gross and creepy.