servess: 6 – 8
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 1½ hours
total time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 leeks (trimmed and washed thoroughly)
- 1 small yellow onion (peeled)
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 carrot (peeled)
- 1 parsley root (peeled)
- 1 celery root (peeled and chopped)
- 1 medium butternut squash (peeled and seeded)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans, drained (about 1 can)
- 4 cups (32 oz.) all-natural beef broth
- 2 cups filtered water
- 4 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground corriander
- fresh cilantro leaves (chopped)
Step 1: Rinse and peel your veggies. Cut them into bite-sized pieces (about 1 – 2 inch chunks).
Step 2: In a bottom-heavy large soup pot, heat olive oil over a small flame.
Step 3: Add chopped leeks and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until translucent.
Step 4: Add chopped celery, carrot, parsley root, celery root, butternut squash, and garlic. Saute for about 10 minutes. Stir every few minutes.
Step 5: Add beans, broth, water, bay leaves, and spices. Increase the flame, and bring soup to a boil. After 10 minutes of boiling, cover pot, reduce to a simmer, and cook for about an hour and a half. The soup is ready when the broth has thickened, and root vegetables are fork tender.
Step 6: Remove bay leaves. (This is very important, as bay leaves can be a dangerous choking hazard.)
Step 7: Ladle soup into prepared bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro leaves, if desired. Enjoy!
Looking for more soup recipes?
- Slow-Cooker Tomato Soup Recipe
- Butternut Squash Red Lentil Soup Recipe
- Detox Noodle Soup Recipe
- Simple Broccoli Soup Recipe
- Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup Recipe
- Ham Corn and Potato Soup Recipe
- Lemon Ginger Green Soup Recipe
Find more delicious recipes form Karen Biton-Cohen at K. abc Food & Photography.