Psst! Corned beef and cabbage is about as Irish as American cheese. And yes, that's to say it's just not. But fear not! You can have an authentic and delicious Irish dinner to celebrate this St. Patrick's Day with this easy recipe for bangers and mash with mushroom gravy.
Bangers and Mash with Mushroom Gravy
An authentic Irish dinner recipe for your St. Paddy's Day!
- extra virgin olive oil: 1 teaspoon
- fresh sliced mushrooms: 8 ounces
- unsalted butter: 1 tablespoon
- all-purpose flour: 1 tablespoon
- low sodium beef broth: 14.5 ounce can
- salt and pepper: to taste
- Irish bangers (sausage): 4 links
- hot, prepared mashed potatoes: 3-4 cups
Step 1: Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until soften and browned---about 8--10 minutes.
Step 2: Add the butter to the skillet and melt. Whisk in the flour and let cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth a little at a time, whisking to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Then, let the sauce bubble away until thickened---about 13--15 minutes.
Step 3: Cook the bangers according to package directions.
Step 4: Arrange the mashed potatoes on a plate. Top each with 1 banger and 1/4 of the mushroom gravy. Enjoy!
More St. Patrick's Day Recipes: