Having trouble finding a facility? We approached the Cat Writers Association whose members are actively involved in cat welfare around the country and asked members to list some of their favorite cat rescue groups and organizations. Check them out:
Grayson County Humane Society
Leitchfield Animal Shelter
213 William Thomason Byway
Leitchfield, KY 42754
Tel: (270) 230-8839
Although situated in rural Kentucky, social media savvy Donna White is able to find wonderful homes for both cats and dogs extending way beyond her region. There is a “recreation” room where cats can roam around freely.
Homeless Animal Rescue Team (HART)
302 Range Road
Cumberland ME 04021
Tel: (207) 829-4116
Email: [email protected]
This group specializes in diabetic cats. They have a whole room in the shelter dedicated to diabetics so that they can feed the special diets these cats require. Almost all of them have become diet-controlled and no longer need insulin thanks to the dedication of HART's volunteers.
This Minnesota-based, no-kill cat rescue organization was founded in 1997 and is run exclusively through donations and grants and completely staffed by volunteers. They provide rescue and relief to the homeless and endangered cats their community through programs that offer shelter, fostering, social and medical rehabilitation, feral and stray management, spay/neuter subsidies and community education.
This no-kill shelter is currently seeking new volunteers in the following areas:
- Cat Care Volunteers: To assist with cleaning/disinfecting cages, mopping floors, changing litter boxes, filling water bowls
- Cat Socializers: To spend one-on-one time with cats and kittens, petting them, playing with them, and brushing them
- Cleaning Volunteers: To load machines, fold laundry, sort toys and bedding, and other domestic chores
- Cat Adoption Counselors: To help with paperwork and interviews
- Fund Raising/Public Outreach: Multiple opportunities exist to participate in fund-raising activities and community outreach events
- Building Maintenance: People with painting, plumbing, electrical, heating and construction work skills are needed
- Clerical/Front Desk: To assist in answering phones, intake of donated items and greeting visitors
Puffy Paws Kitty Haven
270 Lakeview Lane
Tel: (941) 623-8904
Email: [email protected]
This organization is run by Chrissy and Rick Kingston on site at their Englewood, Florida home and specializes in special needs cats such as those that have feline leukemia, FIV or neurological disorders as well as felines with behavioral problems, and seniors. Contact them directly to find out how you can help on an on-going basis.
This nonprofit organization in Miami, Florida works under the umbrella of Pawsitively Humane, Inc. They work with all cats but specialize in black cats and work tirelessly to reverse the stigmas surrounding them. They run trap-neuter-return programs and care for feral cats and thus are always looking for local residents to help feed cats or donate food or money.
Advocates 4 Animals
This organization does not have a physical shelter or location where all adoptable pets are located. They operate with individual volunteer foster homes throughout the Dayton and Northern Cincinnati Ohio areas. They rescue animals from high-kill shelters that would not survive without their intervention.
Working with foster homes allows their volunteers to provide the very best in veterinary treatment and care as well as lots of daily love and attention on a very personal level. They rehabilitate abused pets and work with special needs felines too.