Holiday shopping can get expensive, fast… especially if you have a big family, are buying for co-workers and friends (not to mention doormen, babysitters, trainers… the list goes on and on and on!). Finding deals and shopping smart can make a huge difference and this year more than ever it’s best to start shopping early.
For the best tips and tricks when it comes to smart saving for holiday 2021, we turned to smart shopping expert, Trae Bodge.
- Shop early to avoid potential product shortages and shipping delays
“We’ve been hearing about supply chain issues since the early days of the Pandemic, and it’s only snowballed from there. Some gifts are available now, but retailers and brands may not be able to replenish them as the holiday season heats up. Others aren’t available yet, but it’s good to place those orders now so you’re first in line. In either case, checking some gifts off your list is a good idea!”
- How to avoid overspending during holidays
“One of the best ways to avoid overspending during the holidays is to make a list and stick to it. I suggest making a list on your phone in the Notes app, so you always have your list with you (and Notes has a handy checkmark feature, so you can tick gifts off as you buy them!) Also, the list will remain in your phone for reference year after year.”
- Stress-free shopping
“If you have lots of gifts to buy, consider signing up for SmartyPlus, from deal site Smarty. It functions like a shopping assistant, getting you double cash back and access to exclusive sales, plus it helps you compare prices, get credits for price drops and rebates for shipping & return costs, and it has travel perks, like car rental protection and rebates for air-travel purchases. SmartyPlus is $19 per month and you get $15 cash back for signing up.”
- Surprising ways to save
“Shopping early is a great way to get gifts on time and avoid the holiday rush but it also means that you can’t take advantage of big deal days, like Black Friday. Early shoppers need to be creative about finding savings! Here are a few things to try:
- Sign up for emails from your favorite stores. Retailers like Target and Amazon have already had big (and brief) early holiday shopping sales, and you want to be in the know!
- Check deal sites. Deal sites are getting creative and offering savings events, like Slickdeals Rewards Offer Drops, which is happening October 28-29. Install the Slickdeals browser extension to get access to deal drops that will only be available for a limited time. There will also be giveaways and amazing savings, like 100% cash-back at your favorite stores.
- See what your memberships can get you. Your memberships can save you a lot! For instance, AARP members can save an extra 5% on UPS shipping services or 5% on NakedWines. And check your credit cards, too. Most credit cards partner with retailers to offer exclusive discounts.”