OXO Good Grips Easy-Clean Compost Bin
This larger indoor compost bin will hold all of your food scraps and look good doing it, too.
Find on Amazon
This option from OXO easily scores the top spot on our list. With a 0.75-gallon capacity option (as well as a 1.75-gallon option available), this is just the right size for someone who doesn’t generate enough food waste to spring for the larger size compost bins. Beyond the size, however, this has some other awesome features, such as the smooth design and operation. With interior walls that are slippery smooth, food won’t build up or stick to the sides. The lid flips up as opposed to coming completely off, which makes filling the compost bin a breeze. And when it comes time to empty, the rotating handle makes it easy to just grab the bin and go.
- The handle is sturdy, making it easy and mess-free when it comes time to empty the waste
- The secure lid won’t leak rotting food odors
- Two sizes available, as well as multiple color options
- Super easy to clean
- The lid may not fit as securely as you’d like it to keep ants or fruit flies at bay
Cooler Kitchen Oversized Kitchen Compost Bin
This small bin is perfect for those who don't need a large-capacity option.
Find on Amazon
Who knew a compost bin would be your next favorite kitchen counter accessory? Seriously, composting your food waste has never looked so good. With an outer pail that’s made of extremely high-quality carbon steel that won’t break down, rust, stain, or hold on to odors like plastic or stainless steel often does. Better yet, the bucket system comes ready-to-go, right out of the box. All you have to do is insert the filter into the lid, and you’re good to go. There’s a plastic inner bucket that holds the waste (it’s totally dishwasher safe). The lid closes snugly to keep things stink and fruit-fly free. All of this, and it can sit on your counter looking like the classy little composter that it is. Simply put? We love it.
- Large 1.3-gallon size
- The lid fits securely, yet pops on and off easily enough when you need to use it multiple times during food prep work
- Color choices are clean and crisp: a classic white and a gorgeous, brilliant red option
- No assembly is required beyond the insertion of the filter into the lid (and that’s easy)
- You’ll need a separate composting bin outside if you’re planning on generating a fair amount of compost for your home garden
Utopia Kitchen Stainless Steel Compost Bin
This stainless steel container ensures there's no stress and no stink.
Find on Amazon
If it’s not broke, don’t fix it, right? That wisdom holds true with Utopia Kitchen’s compost bin, which touts a simple, streamlined design. With this one, it couldn’t be simpler: you get a 1.3-gallon capacity cylindrical bin made of stainless steel with a charcoal filter. The 201 stainless steel is both easy to clean and difficult to scratch, and, importantly, it looks sleek in the kitchen. When it comes time to clean this beauty, lather it up with warm water and soap, give it a scrub, and voila – it’s good as new. Oh, and it’s ultra-affordable, too.
- Large enough that you don’t constantly have to empty it, but small enough that it’s easy to make room for it in the kitchen
- Does a fine job of keeping the odors where they belong: inside the bin
- The lid can sometimes be a bit difficult since it’s made to seal tightly to contain odors
Granrosi Farmhouse Kitchen Compost Bin
This classic-style compost bin from Granrosi is simple to use and sports effective non-smell filters.
Find on Amazon
The classics never go out of style. This farmhouse compost bin from Granrosi has that recognizable bucket design, with a swinging handle for transportation. However, this bin has some modern upgrades. It includes three charcoal filters that do an excellent job of filtering the stink of those browning banana peels. It also has an alloy steel construction, so cleaning off sticky juices is as easy as pie. Simply wipe it down with a soapy rag and your farmhouse-style kitchen will look spic and span.
- Great value for the price
- High capacity at 1.3 gallons
- Includes two spare charcoal filters (total of three)
- Sturdy and durable, but the outer part can scratch and dent fairly easily
VIVOSUN Tumbling Composter, 43 Gallon
This hefty tumbling composter can churn out rich, black soil from your food scraps.
Find on Amazon
If you want to take your composting to the next level, you’ll have to step outside. Built to withstand the rain, wind, and sun, this durable composter won’t get rusty or deformed. This composter is the real deal, yet we were surprised at how easy it is to use. The design is simple and effective, with a dual-chambered interior that lets you swap between fresh materials and advanced compost. Plus, you can rotate the entire thing easily to help aerate and break up the compost.
- Made out of galvanized steel and heavy-duty latex rubber
- The tumbling design speeds up the composting process
- Rodent-proof design
- Takes a bit of patience to assemble
Frequently Asked Questions
Where should I keep my compost bin?
Despite what you might think, a compost bin really isn’t all that gross. In fact, many people keep their compost bin right out on the counter for easy access. It’s up to you where you want to keep your compost bin, however. Some designs fit under the counter and some come with a tight-fitting lid that’s appropriate to keep outside your door. If you want easy access, go with a kitchen countertop compost bin. Really, the options for where you can keep your compost bin are endless and entirely up to you.
How do I avoid stinky compost?
If you purchase a bin that’s specifically for compost, it’ll likely come with a filtration system, a tightly fitting lid, and a non-porous container that virtually eliminates the stink. However, if you find that you’re still smelling a bit of compost, emptying the bin more frequently and/or wash it after each emptying might make all the difference.