Zinus Shalini Upholstered Platform Bed Frame
Beautiful, strong, and modestly-priced, this option from Zinus easily scores the top spot on our list.
Find on Amazon
Zinus is our go-to for quality bed frames. With a reputation for sturdiness and easy assemblies, this company outdoes itself with each new design. This upholstered option is the latest-and-greatest from Zinus. Available in Dark Grey or Sage Grey, this pick can elevate any bedroom’s aesthetic. And looks aside, the Shalini bed frame features top-notch stability and durability. Built out of wood and steel, it’s a sturdy piece of bedroom furniture with a construction meant to last for decades. The best part of all? You don’t need a box spring.
- It comes with clear assembly instructions and includes all the tools you need
- Zinus is a reputable company that offers a 5-year limited warranty
- The cushioned headboard adds a chic, modern style to the bedframe
- The entire exterior frame is lined with soft upholstery
- Available in twin, full, queen, and king sizes
- Not a ton of space underneath, so it’s not the first pick for those that need a bed frame with storage space
Zinus Joseph Metal Platform Bed Frame
With an attractive minimalistic design and sturdy construction, this affordable option from Zinus is perfect for those shopping with limited funds.
Find on Amazon
We can’t all afford the most extravagant bedframe but that’s okay. Zinus’ Joseph Bed Frame looks awesome and comes at an affordable price point. The minimalistic design is both practical and attractive. Offering plenty of storage space beneath, the Joseph is available in varying heights, so you can pick the one that’s right for you and your storage aspirations. A favorite bedframe among those strapped for cash and living in tight quarters, this pick doesn’t require a box spring. Instead, it comes with strong wooden slats that run horizontally across the frame. Practical, affordable, and modernistic is how we like it.
- Bargain price (plus you won’t have to buy a box spring)
- Compatible with any mattress type (except water or air beds)
- The minimalist look can augment any modern-style room decor
- The all-metal frame is as sturdy and free of squeaks
- Assembly is fast and easy
- Those with physical limitations may need some help with putting it together
- No headboard
Zinus Judy Upholstered Platform Bed Frame
Zinus continues to wow us with their handsome headboard designs.
Find on Amazon
Another fantastic overall option from Zinus, the “Judy” features the best in headboard designs. Upholstered through-and-through, this soft and cushiony design is free of sharp corners and hard edges, so you can jump right into bed without fear of slamming a shin or cracking a noggin. It also looks awesome, with geometric stitching that screams luxury. But looks can be deceiving. The Judy is actually a modestly-priced option that can save you money. It doesn’t need a box spring and you can assembly it by yourself in under 30 minutes, no extra tools needed.
- We love the all-around upholstery which eliminates bruised shins
- Easy to clean with a vacuum
- The geometric patterns on the headboard give this design a modernistic and adaptable style
- We wish there were more color options available
Walker Edison Modern Metal Mesh Twin Bunk
With this bunk bed from Walker Edison, you'll free up tons of floor space for activities while still enjoying comfy sleeping quarters.
Find on Amazon
Kids love bunk beds and so do we. These vertically-stacked bedframes free up tons of space and can give each sleeper his or her own little realm of privacy. For those on the hunt for the perfect bunk bed, we recommend this option from Walker Edison Furniture. It’s a safe bet since it features sturdy guard rails to keep sleepers from falling out of bed in the night. And instead of box springs, this bunk bed supports each mattress using super-strong metal supports on both top and bottom bunk. In fact, the entire frame is made out of metal for peace of mind and greater longevity. Best of all, Walker Edison offers a wide variety of different sizes and styles, so you can choose the bunk bed that suits your needs.
- The sturdy, wobble-free design can withstand the abuse of erratic children
- Safe and secure
- Fair price
- The steps on the ladder are metal, so they can prove to be a little painful to use for heavier folks
DHP Modern Canopy Bed with Built-In Headboard
The canopy design of this modern-style bed from DHP can augment any bedroom decor.
Find on Amazon
If you want to sleep in style, go with a canopy bed. Canopy beds can be used to hang curtains or simply augment a bedroom’s decor. We also find that a canopy frame helps define the boundaries of a sleeping space, so you know your bed is designated for sweet dreams. This option from DHP has everything we look for and more. Made out of iron and steel, it’s probably the sturdiest option on our list. In fact, the queen weighs almost 100 pounds in weight. But though the weight may be daunting, it’s actually a testament to just how insanely strong this option is. Plus, it assembles from the ground up, one piece at a time, so you don’t have to be a powerlifter to piece everything together.
- No box spring required thanks to the strong metal slats
- The canopy isn’t a gimmick, it legitimately contributes to the overall stability and strength of the bedframe
- Available in twin, full, queen, and king sizes as well as four different colors
- Fairly easy to assemble using clear instructions, but we still recommend getting a friend to help
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to assemble my bedframe-of-choice?
All of the options on our list will need to be assembled. Some companies may offer “expert assembly” for an additional fee. If you have physical limitations, expert assembly is a good idea. That being said, these bed frames are designed to be easy to piece together and come with all the necessary tools and hardware you’ll need.
Does my bedframe-of-choice squeak or wobble?
We made sure to pick options that don’t squeak or wobble. If squeakiness is a major concern, make sure to pick something with a metal frame. Also, an uneven floor can lead to squeaking or instability, so make sure that all four legs make contact with the floor.
Do I need a box spring?
All of the options on our list do not require a boxspring and instead come with horizontal slats that will support your mattress.