VTech DM112-2 Baby Monitor
Though minimalist in design, it's hard to argue against the streamlined simplicity of this set – especially considering the price.
Find on Amazon
Affordable, adorable, and portable, this set includes two parent units (both equipped with hip belts and battery-powered capabilities) as well as a baby unit. You can rely on the 1000-foot range and those battery-powered capabilities to manage your daily tasks while Baby sleeps. Meanwhile, if you need to mute the monitor for a minute, a 5-level sound indicator will give you a visual display of the noise level. What’s more, if you wander out of range, the device will beep three times every 30 seconds to let you know that you’ve lost the link to the baby monitor.
- Price point is hard to beat, making it a good option for budget-conscious parents
- Parent units can also be powered with an AC adapter, so you don’t necessarily need to go through batteries like crazy
- Batteries are not included
- Its sound-activation feature is quite sensitive. For example, if you run a white noise machine in the same room as the monitor, it won’t be able to filter this out as background noise; rather, it’ll pick this up, producing a startling and harsh static noise
Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor
Those looking for a video-enabled monitor would be wise to look to this compact, high-tech unit from Infant Optics.
Find on Amazon
If you’re hoping to monitor Baby’s breathing with the use of a video monitor, check out this stellar option from Infant Optics. Designed with multiple interchangeable lenses (normal, zoom, and wide) and equipped with pan, tilt, and digital zoom, you can control the camera remotely to see exactly what your little munchkin is up to from afar. Furthermore, the receiver is lightweight and compact, so much so that you can easily stick it in your pocket when you’re doing chores or relaxing.
- Plug-and-play installation means its easy for anyone and everyone to set it up
- Thanks to its small, portable build, it’s great to bring while you’re traveling
- Extra charging cable included in case you misplace or damage the first one
- Range is only 700 feet, and this is when there’s nothing obstructing the unit’s line of sight, such as walls. Not ideal compared to other units on the market, but perhaps understandable considering the fact that this is transmitting not just audio data, but video, too
Sense-U Baby Monitor
Sleep soundly while saving money with this all-in-one monitor.
Find on Amazon
The Sense-U Baby Monitor is much simpler than some of the other contenders. It is a clip-on wearable that attaches to your baby’s clothes to monitor the physical movement created by your baby’s breathing. It can also monitor the ambient room temperature, and you can set it to notify you if your baby rolls over onto his or her tummy.
The included app is super easy to use and provides you with alerts if the baby stops breathing, rolls over, or if the room becomes uncomfortable. This monitor may seem much simpler than the rest, but it is also significantly more affordable. Here are the pros and cons.
- Super affordable
- Easy to use
- Sensitive to your baby’s movements
- Has several alerts to help you have peace of mind
- Your baby will not outgrow this clip-on the way he or she will some of the other wearables
- No video or sound monitoring
- Too many doors or walls can affect how well you receive the Bluetooth notifications
Nanit Plus Smart Baby Monitor
Meet the Nanit Plus, the stat-tracker, "Baby's first"-memory-saver, notification-giver, and encrypted-data-protector.
Find on Amazon
For those of us in awe of the potential of modern technology, why not utilize a small slice of it to keep your baby safe and healthy? This high-tech, award-winning beauty offers you a crystal-clear, bird’s-eye view of Baby, and it’s jam-packed with features. On the more basic end of the feature spectrum, you get things like phenomenal night-vision video quality and two-way audio so you can both listen and talk to your little one. On the more advanced end, you get the sleep-tracking features and nifty extras like a highlight reel of Baby’s slumber shown in a timelapse.
- Includes a 1-year limited manufacturer’s warranty
- May be an eligible purchase under HSA (Health Savings Account) or FSA (Flex Spending Account)
- Also monitors temperature and humidity of the room
- Quite costly, but it’s a cost that’s arguably worth every penny. Few products are more wort splurging on than those that’ll help keep your baby safe and healthy
Owlet Smart Sock 2 Baby Monitor
This one utilizes pulse oximetry to monitor Baby's heart rate and oxygen levels.
Find on Amazon
If you’d rather opt for a wearable monitor over a video- or sound-enabled one, this sock-style monitor ticks all the right boxes. By utilizing pulse oximetry, you’ll be able to keep tabs on Baby’s pulse and oxygen levels while he or she sleeps. The smartphone app lets you keep tabs on these tabs, and it tracks historical data, too, so you can pick up on problematic patterns (or healthy ones) as he or she develops.
- Your purchase includes 3 washable socks, so you’ll always have a backup
- Each connects to the base unit wirelessly, as long as it’s within 100 feet
- Considering the rather high up-front cost, it’s a little disappointing that you have to pay extra for access to all of the app’s extra services
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is it important to monitor a baby’s breathing?
Some babies are born with breathing problems or heart issues. Monitoring your baby’s breathing can help alert you to these issues. In addition, SIDS happens to perfectly healthy babies.
What is SIDS?
SIDS stands for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. It is thought that the baby’s undeveloped brain may “forget” to breathe when the baby is deep in sleep.