If you are throwing a Super Bowl party this Sunday, surprise your guests with a football cake to celebrate the big game.
This football cake is easier to make than you’d think, and the result is an impressive cake that will have sports fans and dessert lovers cheering. If you’re a cake-decorating novice, you, too, can handle this easy cake recipe.
For football cake
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the football cake frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 1⁄3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
For the football cake decoration
- 2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- Green food coloring
For football cake
- To make the football cake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9-inch cake pan (round) with baking spray. Set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt) in a medium bowl.
- Take another bowl and whisk together the wet ingredients (cold water, vegetable oil, vinegar, and vanilla extract) until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring until well combined. Pour the combined mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake it in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes, then flip onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To give it a football shape, use a serrated knife and cut a 2-inch-wide strip down the center. Remove it and set aside.
- Place both sides of the cake on a serving platter and combine them into a pigskin shape.
For frosting the football cake
- To frost the football cake, beat the softened butter until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar to the butter and beat until no lumps remain.
- Add the heavy cream, vanilla, and salt. Beat until combined.
- Reserve one cup of white frosting and set aside.
- To the remaining frosting, add cocoa powder and beat until well combined.
- Coat the outside of the cake with the chocolate frosting.
- Spoon the white frosting into a piping bag fitted with a flat tip. Pipe lines and laces on the cake to resemble a pigskin.
For decorating the football cake
- Start decorating the cake by placing the shredded coconut in a resealable plastic bag with a few drops of green food coloring.
- Shake and knead the bag until the shredded coconut looks like grass, adding more coloring if needed.
- Sprinkle the green coconut “grass” on the serving platter (around the football cake).
- Chill until it is time to serve to guests.
- The remaining cake and frosting can be cut into squares and served on the side. You can also save it for later to snack on with your family.
Making football cake is a little time-consuming. However, if planned well, you can make this cake for the Super Bowl party without any stress. For instance, you can bake the cake two days before the Super Bowl and keep it in the refrigerator. The frosting and decoration can be done a day before or on the same day as the Super Bowl party. Rest assured, your football cake will score a goal among your guests.
So, make this cake for Super Bowl Sunday and share your guests’ reactions with us in the comment section below!