I have always prided myself on having healthy hair. But, after a few seasons of chilly fall weather coupled with the early years of motherhood, my hair was a disaster. I finally decided enough. I went on a campaign to really get my hair to a shiny, frizz-free place, despite the weather sometimes getting the better of me. Through trial and error I’ve figured out what really works, no matter what the fall forecast brings.
1. Slather on a deep conditioner. If your hair feels like straw then it’s time for a deep conditioner. I started by deep conditioning my hair no less than two times a week; in one month my hair felt softer than it had in years. If you color your hair look for a conditioner specifically for color-treated hair. I like L’Oreal Ever Sleek Sulfate-Free Smoothing System Deep Conditioner, $8.99
2. Add some serious shine. Think of a glaze as your best friend for a frizz-free do. John Frieda Clear Glaze ($8.99) is super easy to use. After shampooing and conditioning, add it to your hair, let it sit for at least 3 to 5 minutes, then rinse. What I love about this glaze is that it works fast and the results are a super shiny sheen and frizz- free do. Use this as part of your hair regime every few weeks.
3. Rinse your hair with cold water. Every beauty editor I’ve ever worked with has given me this advice—and it couldn’t be easier to do. After conditioning, rinse your hair with cool water to help lock moisture in (dryness causes hair to frizz). No need for a cold shower; just a few minutes of a cool rinse should do the job.
4. Use a frizz-banishing serum. As the deep conditioner works to get your hair back to a healthy state, this serum–cream will tame the frizz. I like Dove Style + Care Frizz-Free Shine Hair Cream-Serum ($3.94), because it doesn’t build up. Start with about a dime size a day and use daily for frizz-free control.
5. Invest in a good brush. The Shine Brush by The Wet Brush ($14.99) has trademarked Intelliflex bristles and Mongolian Boar bristles, which distribute the oils from your scalp throughout your hair and makes your hair silky and shiny.
6. Give your diet a healthy makeover. As a busy mom, I started to eat bagels pizza on the run. Getting my diet back on track and eating healthier foods, like salmon, walnuts, and eggs, has made a big difference in the way I look, and it’s also helped give me healthier hair.
*This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance.