How to get a free breast pump? You may be able to get a free breast pump through insurance. The first step is to call your health insurance company and ask these questions:
1. Can I get a free breast pump through my plan?
2. Can I request a specific brand or model of pump?
3. Can I request electric or manual?
4. Will I need a prescription from my doctor to get a free breast pump?
5. Will I be required to rent or purchase from a specific supplier?
6. Can I request a pump before my baby is born or will I have to wait?
7. Will I have to pay for supplies and parts such as tubes, batteries, and nipple shields?
Once you have answers to these questions, your next step should be to research the breast pumps covered by your insurance company to find the best match for your lifestyle.
If your insurance covers a breast pump rental, look into whether the hospital where you deliver offers access to medical-grade breast pumps (those are like heaven, by the way). If they don’t offer rentals, they should be able to give you a referral to a place that does.
Figuring out how to get a free breast pump may feel like a lot of work (OK, because it probably is), but it’s probably worth the trouble. Getting a breast pump through insurance may save you hundreds of dollars!