I hear so many moms say they don’t have the time or talent for a “Pinterest birthday party” for their kids. I’ve learned that, for me, a few store bought desserts dressed up a bit make my parties look chic. I’m going to share my five favorite chic but cheap birthday party dessert ideas.
1. Plain cake from your local grocery store, $18 or under. With the exception of my son’s Wild Kratts cake, every cake I’ve ever used has been basic and under $25, often under $20.
Start with a simple round cake and ask the baker to leave it completely white and smooth. Add a DIY or inexpensive cake topper of some sort, and your cake is chic. No one will guess it’s a cheap cake from the grocery store. If you order one of the sheet cakes with all the trinkets, the price increases dramatically.
2. Cookies (preferably Oreos or Trader Joe’s Jo-Jo’s), $5 or under. Stack them up and they look chic for under $5. This one is my favorite little trick. You could do this with homemade cookies too.
3. Plain cupcakes with white frosting, $10 or under for twenty-four.
Pick up a twelve or twenty-four pack from Target for $7.99. Add sprinkles or store-bought toppers like these or make your own.
4. Donuts stacked sky high, $10 or under for twelve to twenty-four.
Pick up simple glazed donuts at your local grocery store at twelve for $4.99. Stack them up and call it a day! Donuts are always a winner, and the grocery store options are delicious. You could top them with something or just stack them.
5. Animal crackers or popcorn, $6 or less for twenty-four mini cups. I love putting animal crackers, fruit snacks, cheese crackers, popcorn, or other small cookies in cute little cups.
Top photo and cow party photos by Melissa Oholendt Photography. All others by Live the Fancy Life.
More Birthday Party Ideas:
- All You Really Need for a Kid’s Birthday Party
- 3 Birthday Parties That Go Way Beyond Pretty
- Kids Parties 101: Avoid Disaster with These Simple Tips