I come from a family of cake eaters – we love any form of it. But sheet cakes are always a big win because they are so easy to make and you can get creative with them. I recently discovered this popsicle sheet cake and it’s my new favorite. Whatever occasion you’re celebrating this season – whether its a birthday, graduation, or just your average weekend BBQ – this simple popsicle sheet cake is the perfect dessert! Simply bake your favorite cake recipe (my sheet cake recipe is below) in a large rectangular pan, and you already have the perfect foundation for a popsicle shaped cake. Layer it, frost it with colored frosting and add a cardboard popsicle stick! It’s the easiest cake decorating project for your summer parties, and pairs perfectly with a scoop of ice cream or a dose of sprinkles.
The one-layered cake often comes with a thick layer of frosting on top, too. It’s a no-fuss, no-frills dessert that easily feeds a crowd. While it makes sense for big celebrations, it’s a good choice for smaller ones too ― because sometimes leftover cake can taste even better the next day! Follow along with this step-by-step tutorial and learn how to make this popsicle sheet cake just in time for summer.
- Baked rectangular cake, about 9×13 in (recipe below)
- Vanilla frosting (recipe below)
- Food coloring
- Offset spatula
Step 1: Remove cooled 9×13 inch cake from pan. Carefully move the cake to a large cake board or a cutting board.
Step 2: Mix food coloring into the frosting and stir until desired popsicle color is reached.
Step 3: If desired, level the cake into two layers and fill with vanilla frosting (optional).
Step 4: Use a knife to cut a curve out of one corner of the cake to make it appear like a bite has been taken out.
Step 5: Cover the entire cake with a thin layer of frosting, or a crumb coat. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
Step 6: Apply another thick layer of frosting to the cake, smoothing along the top and sides with the spatula.
Step 7: Cut a strip of cardboard about 2×5 inches with one end curved. Insert the straight end into the uncut end of the cake to resemble a popsicle stick.
Simple Vanilla Sheet Cake
I come from a family of cake eaters – we love any form of it. But sheet cakes are always a big win because they are so easy to make and you can get creative with them. I…
- For the Cake:
- butter: 1/2 cup, room temperature
- all-purpose flour: 1 1/2 cups
- baking powder: 2 1/2 teaspoons
- granulated sugar: 1 cups
- salt: 1/2 teaspoon
- milk: 3 Tablespoons
- egg whites: 4
- vanilla: 2 teaspoons
- For the Frosting:
- butter: 2 cups, room temperature
- powdered sugar: 3-4 cups
- vanilla extract: 2 teaspoons
- Food coloring, optional
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 in baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until crumbly. Scrape the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg whites, milk and vanilla
- Mixing on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. Scrape the bowl and mix until just combined
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Let cool for 30 minutes before carefully removing from the pan. Let cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
- In your mixing bowl, beat the butter until smooth and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes)
- Mix in the powdered sugar one cup at a time and scrape the bowl as you go
- Add the vanilla and continue beating for another minute until the frosting is smooth and fluffy. Mix in food coloring until desired color is reached.