One of the main reasons to love a July Fourth BBQ is the food (of course!). And this light, healthy, super delicious strawberry blueberry salad is the perfect accompaniment to the smoky, charred burgers coming off the grill. Kids will love the naturally sweet berries, parents will love that the kids are eating greens, and everyone will love the patriotic deliciousness!
July 4th Recipe: Lemon Scented Strawberry-Blueberry Salad
The perfect patriotic side salad for a summer of barbecues!
- mixed baby greens, washed and dried: 2 packed cups
- fresh strawberries, washed, dried, and quartered: 1½ cups
- fresh blueberries, washed and dried: ½ cup
- red onion, thinly sliced: ¼ cup
- lemon zest: from 2 small lemons
- lemon juice: 2 tablespoons
- extra virgin olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- salt, pepper, and granulated sugar: to taste
- herbed goat cheese, crumbled: 2 tablespoons
Step 1: Add the greens, strawberries, blueberries, and red onions to a large mixing or serving bowl. Toss gently, and set aside in the refrigerator, lightly covered with plastic wrap, until you're ready to serve.
Step 2: Once you're ready to serve, in a small bowl or jar, whisk the lemon zest and lemon juice with the oil. Season to taste with the salt, pepper, and sugar. (You'll need about one generous pinch of each.)
Step 3: Toss the salad with the lemon dressing, evenly distribute the goat cheese on top, and serve.
More Summer Salad Recipes: