It is always much easier to feed your children and the baby when you are feeding the whole family, and that goes for feeding those finicky toddlers too. One of my kids' favorite meals is homemade chicken and dumplings. They have been enjoying this particular dish since they were almost 1 year old. I think this dish is so popular with my kiddos due to the fact that the dumplings cook in the broth. The kids view this as a way-cool mystery and think it's neat that a light and fluffy dumpling doesn't have to be baked in the oven. So without further ado, give this recipe a try.
Chicken & Dumplings
Chicken Filling Ingredients:
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, skinless and boneless, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 quart of chicken stock or vegetable stock (homemade is best)
- celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup frozen peas or ½ cup frozen peas and ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
Chicken Filling Directions:
Step 1: Heat olive oil in a large stock pot and brown the chicken pieces, set aside when browned.
Step 2: Heat the stock in a different pot and then add in the browned chicken.
Step 3: Poach the chicken for 10-15 minutes then remove chicken from pot and set aside again.
Step 4: While chicken is poaching, saute the onions and celery and carrots in the stock pot that held the chicken.
Step 5: Saute until onions and celery are light and translucent; carrots will still be firm and this OK.
Step 6: Add 1/3 cup flour and make a roux, stirring for approximately 5 minutes.
Step 7: Gently ladle in the stock and then add in the chicken meat, add in the frozen vegetable(s).
Now make the dumplings!
- 2 cups of flour, all purpose is best as it will yield a lighter dumpling
- dash salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3/4 cup of milk
- Shake of dried herbs if desired
Directions for Dumplings:
Step 1: Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl until combined; do not over mix or your dumplings will be rubbery.
Step 2: Drop the dough in the simmering chicken mix, by tablespoons or teaspoons.
Step 3: Cover the pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Dumplings cook via the steam and heat trapped in the pot so do not open the pot.
For babies you can set aside the following and create a meal suited for baby's age/stage.
- Pieces of cooked chicken
- Cooked vegetables
- A dumpling or 2