Made with creamy butternut squash, honey, and warm spices, this honey muffins recipe will keep you cozy all winter long. Cardamom, allspice and cloves give it an exotic kick. Fantastic for a winter brunch, or warm right out of the oven for your family!
Butternut Squash and Honey Muffins Recipe
Made with creamy butternut squash, honey, and warm spices, this honey muffins recipe will keep you cozy all winter long. Cardamom, allspice and cloves give it an exotic kick.
- butternut squash puree (frozen + thawed, or fresh): 1 1/4 cup
- olive oil (or coconut oil): 1/2 cup
- honey: 1/2 cup
- eggs: 2
- pure vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon
- whole spelt flour (or whole wheat/ all-purpose): 2 cups
- old-fashioned oats (rolled oats): 3/4 cup
- baking powder: 1 teaspoon
- baking soda: 1/2 teaspoon
- cinnamon: 1 tablespoon
- allspice: 1 teaspoon
- ground cardamom: 1/2 teaspoon
- ground cloves: 1/2 teaspoon
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin trays.
Step 2: In a large bowl whisk together butternut squash puree, olive oil, honey, eggs, and vanilla extract (if you measure the olive oil first, the honey will pour out easily). Set aside.
Step 3: In a smaller bowl, whisk flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, cardamom, cloves, and salt.
Step 4: Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet-ingredient bowl, and whisk until well-combined.
Step 5: Pour batter into prepared muffin trays, and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. (Optional: midway through baking, sprinkle tops with oats and sugar.) Allow to cool slightly before serving.