Forget those store-bought muffins that are one swirl of frosting away from cupcake-dom. Real muffins are lightly sweetened baked goods that are full of flavor. These Pumpkin Streusel Muffins are quick, easy and won't leave you with a total sugar rush. Try this recipe.
Pumpkin Streusel Muffins
Fall flavors make these seasonal pumpkin streusel muffins scrumptious and perfect for crisp days.
- all-purpose flour: 2 cups
- baking powder: 1 tablespoon
- pumpkin pie spice: 2 teaspoons
- kosher salt: ½ teaspoon
- large eggs, lightly beaten: 2
- milk: 1 cup
- packed light brown sugar: ½ cup
- pumpkin puree: 1 cup
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (for streusel topping)
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar (for streusel topping)
- cold unsalted butter (for streusel topping): 2 tablespoons
- chopped pecans (for streusel topping):2 tablespoons
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups (in a muffin pan) with liners.
Step 2: In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Add the eggs, milk, light brown sugar and pumpkin puree. Stir well to combine (about two minutes). Divide evenly among the 12 muffin cups.
Step 3: In a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Using two knives OR a pastry blender, cup the butter into the mixture until small crumbs form. Stir in the pecans. Sprinkle the muffins with the streusel topping.
Step 4: Slide the muffin pan into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
Step 5: Let cool completely before enjoying.