Making homemade soups and soup stock can be labor-intensive but the result warms the tummy and the heart; if your baby has graduated from breastmilk/formula and is older than 6 months try this recipe for your family!
- 8 cups chicken stock (homemade is best, but no-sodium store-bought is fine)
- 4 skinless chicken breasts,cubed
- 6 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium vidalia onion,finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 clove peeled garlic, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning (optional)
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil – 3 tablespoons
- 16 ounce box of spiral pasta (or any shape you desire).
- 1 Ziploc bag
Step 1: Add the flour, pepper, paprika, and Old Bay seasonings to Ziploc bag. Place the chicken in the bag, close tightly and shake to thoroughly coat the chicken with the flour mixture.
Step 2: Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the coated chicken from the bag. (Do not dump in the flour from the bag.) Saute chicken until it starts to brown. Remove chicken from the frying pan.
Step 3: Once the chicken is removed fro the frying pan and add onions, carrots and garlic to the pan. Saute until onions are translucent.
Step 4: Pour chicken stock into a large pot and bring to a boil. Add pepper to taste and a pinch of salt. Add in the chicken and the sauteed vegetables. Return to boil and then turn heat down to low, simmering soup for 2 hours or until you are pleased with the taste.
Step 5: Cook pasta al dente, drain.
Step 6: Add cooked pasta to the pot of stock. Simmer soup for 20 more minutes.
To feed babies 8 months or older: Fish out chicken, veggies, and noodles. Cut noodles into small pieces (this makes great finger foods for babies) and mash the carrots to a mush; return to the broth and feed your baby.
Want more soup recipes?
- Detox Noodle Soup Recipe
- Slow-Cooker Ham, Corn, and Potato Soup Recipe
- Slow-Cooker Sausage Soup Recipe
- Butternut Squash Red Lentil Soup
- Root Vegetable Pear Soup Recipe
- Slow-Cooker Tomato Soup
- Simple Broccoli Soup Recipe
Find more recipes from Maggie Meade in her book, The Wholesome Baby Food Guide.