It is always a good idea, in my mind, to have a few go-to muffin recipes on hand.
I’ve always loved the Jordan Marsh muffin recipe, it is famous the world over for a good reason. Lately, I’ve been playing with it a little bit and using cranberries. I love how the tart berry juices taste when paired with a buttery muffin. To finish it off I toss a delicious pecan streusel on top. It adds a delicious crunch! —
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup pecans, finely chopped
1. For the Muffins: Preheat oven to 375ºF. Butter a 12 c. non-stick muffin tin or place a muffin liner in each cup. With a mixer on low speed cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time and mix until just combined. Then, pour in the milk and the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
2. In a small bowl mash ½ c. of the cranberries until pulpy and juicy. Stir these into the batter. Then, stir in the remaining whole cranberries until just incorporated. Fill each muffin cup ¾ full. Top each muffin with streusel filling (see below) and baked for 25-30 minutes.
3. For the Streusel: In a small bowl combine the flour, butter and sugar. Work it with your hands until everything is easily mix and large crumbs form. Stir in the pecans and set side.