This easy fruit cake is ideal for almost any season. With fresh apricots and berries cropping up in the markets I decided to highlight them in this particular version.
Rhubarb, apples, pears or plums also work well and can be substituted. For an extra treat make a brown sugar streusel to sprinkle on top.
- 1 c. sugar, plus more sprinkling
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- ¾ c. chopped apricots
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour 9-inch cake pan if it is non-stick. If it is not non-stick line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- Scatter fruit evenly on the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- Mix first five ingredients in a large bowl until fully combined.
- Pour batter over fruit in the cake pan and sprinkle top lightly with sugar, this will make a nice crust.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.