I’ve always loved this bread. It’s sweet spicy flavors come from several delicious spices and a healthy dollop of orange jam. It is neither too sweet nor too strong, and is excellent with jam or cream cheese in the morning.
I’ve often wrapped up a loaf for a friend, it is a cheery mid-winter gift everyone appreciates.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cups dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup orange marmalade
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF. Butter a 10×5 loaf pan, dust it with flour and set it aside.
2. Whisk together the flour, brown sugar and baking powder in a large bowl and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl measure the marmalade and honey. Dissolve the baking soda in the milk and stir that into the honey and marmalade mixture.
4. Pour the flour mixture into the marmalade mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until completey incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean