Pumpkin pie is a must-have dessert on Thanksgiving. Those creamy fall flavors perfectly round a dlelicious Thanksgiving dinner. I just love pumpkin recipes and the graham cracker crust on this scrumptious pie imparts a cinnamon-y cookie crunch to make this a crowd-pleasing recipe.
For the Crust:
- 12 whole graham crackers
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) melted, unsalted butter
For the Filling:
- 1¾ cups pumpkin puree
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon each; ground cloves, ground nutmeg, and ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon each; ground allspice and ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon each; ground cinnamon and salt
- 1¾ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
Make the Crust:
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Step 2: Use a food processor to grind the graham crackers into fine crumbs.
Step 3: Pour the crumbs into a medium mixing bowl and combine with the sugar, salt, and melted butter. Gently press the mixture into a 9½ inch pie plate.
Step 4: Bake for 10 minutes and then slide out of the oven and set the crust aside to cool. Leave the oven on.
To Make the Filling:
Step 1: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin with the sugar, honey, vanilla, spices, and salt.
Step 2: In a small bowl, use a teaspoon or small whisk to blend the cornstarch with the milk (this is called a slurry). Once the slurry is smooth, add it to the pumpkin mixture.
Step 3: Mix the eggs into the pumpkin mixture. Mix until smooth.
Put the Pie Together:
Step 1: Pour the pumpkin filling into the crust and bake for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Remove the pie from the oven, cover with foil and slide it back into the oven. Bake for another 15 minutes.
Step 3: Let the pie set for at least an hour before slicing.
- The pie filling is even better if refrigerated overnight, so trymaking it a day ahead. This will also save you time on the very busy Thanksgiving day!
- To save time, purchase a pre-made graham cracker crust.
- For a gluten-free graham cracker crust option, try gluten-free graham crackers like Kinninnick's Smoreables; they work well for this crust. They are about half the size of regular graham crackers, so double the amount. You can find Smoreables at Whole Foods.
Want more Thanksgiving Recipes?
- Turkey Mini-Cakes Recipe
- Cheddar Cornbread Recipe
- Turkey Brine Recipe
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Soup Recipe
- Apricot Cranberry Brie Hors D'Oeuvres Recipe
- Twice-Baked Potatoes Recipe
- Root Vegetable Pear Soup Recipe
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- Pomegranate Pear Salad Recipe
- Marinated Green Beans Recipe