Being fit and healthy is a part of my job, so alas I have to count calories and eat light. I recently discovered The Skinnytaste Cookbook by Gina Homolka, and it has been a godsend! Now I’m not stuck eating salads every night while I watch the rest of my family eat all the good stuff. The meals are easy, fresh, and flavorful (so I never feel like I’m denying myself). Gina’s chicken chili is one of my most favorite meals to make for my family. It’s so amazingly simple and delicious that I make it at least once a week. I’ve adapted the recipe, but I think it’s just as delicious (if I do say so myself!).
Slow–Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili
This dish is so amazingly simple and delicious that I make it at least once a week.
- oil: 1 teaspoon
- onion: 1 small
- cubanelle pepper: 1 cup, chopped
- tomatillos: 2, roughly chopped
- garlic: 3 cloves, minced
- ground cumin: 3/4 teaspoon
- navy beans: 2 (15 oz.) cans, drained and rinsed
- fire-roasted chopped green chilies: 1 (7 oz.) can
- jalapeño: 1, chopped (remove seeds for less heat)
- chicken broth: 3 cups
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts: 1.5 pounds
- cilantro: 1/4 cup, chopped
- dried oregano: 1 teaspoon
- chili powder: 1/4 teaspoon
- bay leaves: 2
- salt: 1/2 teaspoon
- smoked paprika: 1/2 teaspoon
- chipotle pepper: 1/2 teaspoon
- cornstarch: 2 tablespoons (for slurry)
- water: 1/4 cup (for slurry)
- lime-marinated avocado: 1 (topping, optional)
- scallion: 1, chopped (topping, optional)
- low-fat sour cream: 1 small container (topping, optional)
- low-fat shredded cheese: 1 small bag (topping, optional)
- tortilla chips: 1 bag (to serve with chili)
1. Layer chicken (which can be put in frozen), navy beans, green chilies, jalapeño, broth, salt, oregano, chili powder, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon cumin in slow cooker. Cook 4 to 5 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook chopped onion and cubanelle pepper for 5 to 6 minutes (or until soft). Then, add minced garlic, tomatillos, 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin, and salt. Cook for 2 to 4 more minutes. Add ingredients to slow cooker once finished.
3. When there is about an hour left on the cook time, remove chicken breasts, shred with two forks, and return to slow cooker.
4. Before serving, remove and discard bay leaves. Add remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin, as well as salt and pepper to taste.
5. Optional: For thicker broth, whisk 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1/4 cup water for a slurry. Add to slow cooker and cook until chili is hot.
6. Ladle into bowls and add your favorite toppings.